Lessons learnt in 2014

06:30:00

This is the second segment of my 3 part new year’s series and it’s about all the main things that I've learnt throughout 2014 that I think are pretty important to remember from now on.
  • Don’t suffer in silence this has been a big one for me this year and for a lot of previous years. I’ve always been a strong advocate for the following phrases “I’ll be alright”, “I’ll cope”, “I’ll survive”, “I’ll deal” and so on. I hate bothering people with problems; it makes me angry with myself for troubling people with my issues because I believe they are mine and mine alone. If you are reading this thinking the same thing, then please find someone to talk to because it isn't healthy behaviour I promise you. I eventually got to a stage in the year where the issues I were suffering with where affecting my work, my social life, my relationships and my health and that is not okay. It is hard to be open with someone about your struggles, but it is vital that you are not for anyone else other than yourself. You need to be 110% selfish at this point and really think about what it is that you need. I eventually got to a stage where I had to sit there and tell myself “something has to give” and so I found help. I'm still not brilliant now, but I am trying and if I can do it (I am a stubborn child) then anyone can. If you really do struggle to tell people there are so many websites online now that offer you some sort of help and someone to talk to. I have learnt this year that no matter how hard it is, you need to try and talk to someone and try and explain how you feel.
  • People won’t always like you; and that’s okay one thing I struggle with is if people don’t like me or if I feel that people don’t like me. I can be extremely loud or extremely quiet, I swear quite a lot, I'm very sarcastic and sassy and I feel very strongly about a lot of topics and issues and if I don’t agree with you; I will tell you. This can sometimes (okay, a lot of the time) end up with me in hot water and I struggle with this because there is the rational adult side of me that doesn't give to hoots on whether I'm liked or not, but then there is the irrational side of me that craves to be liked by everyone and if I'm not then I think everyone doesn't like me. I'm slowly learning that there are people that like me and as long as they like me then who cares if the other occasional person doesn't?
  • Cherish the friends you've got this kind of links back to the last point. This year more than ever I have realised that the best friends I've got really are the best, if I've got a problem or there is anything wrong I can guarantee I’ll get a message from at least 4/5 absolute babes and then there are a group of us that are just super close and I am so thankful for each and every one of them. It’s the type of friendship I see lasting for an extremely long time and I no longer feel like I have to pretend or act a certain way. The friends I have will always be here for me and I’ll always be there for them.
  • Take time out for yourself  my step dad always tells me that the reason I'm always so tired and run down is because I'm young and I burn the candle at both ends. I always found this ridiculous because I didn't really think I did a lot compared to most people, but in reality I: work full time, blog a large amount of the time, see friends, see Adam, go out as an when and my sleep isn't overly balanced. So I do try to take time out now, have a bath and just lay on the sofa and sleep or have an early night. I still don’t do this a lot, but I do try more than ever to get as much sleep as I possibly can.

Is there anything you’ve found out about yourself this year?

You Might Also Like

0 comments