3 misconceptions about feminism (and why you should count yourself as one!)

13:00:00

Image result for feminist quotes
I think in recent years feminism has come leaps and bounds. It's become a much more accepted thing and I think more people feel comfortable about telling people they view themselves as a feminist. However, saying that I think that when you tell people you're a feminist or talk to people of feminism their minds automatically go to one of the following.

  1. All feminists are women:
    I think when people hear the word feminism, they hear 'fem' and automatically assume that it's just for females and female rights. The actual definition of feminism is about having equality of the sexes, it isn't all about women although that can be a big part of it. As a feminist I personally feel that EVERYONE deserves to feel safe, happy and comfortable with who they are and the life they lead.
  2. All feminists hate men and think women are better than men:
    This is a huge misconception that I know so many people who don't understand feminism have. I don't hate men, at all and I count myself as straight so I certainly don't hate men. What I hate is ignorance, whether this is from men or women. I certainly don't believe that women are better than men, there is no way to judge whether someone else is better than the next. Radical feminists believe that male supremacy should be completely eliminated in all contexts of life, but a large majority don't count themselves as radical feminists anymore and believe that all men and women should be equal (equal being the key word).
  3. Sexism isn't a problem anymore:
    Ofcourse sexism is nowhere near as bad as it used to be; we as women now have the vote, we can work and do just as much as any man can. However, saying this we still have so many areas in the world where we are complete behind on the times. Abortion is still considered a horrendous crime, child marriages are still the norm in so many countries, FGM is still happening and people still feel ashamed about coming forward about rape and abuse. There are still so many awful places in the world where feminism is needed. Feminism is needed for EVERYONE.
    Image result for feminist quotes
I count myself as a feminist because I think everyone deserves to have a fair shot in life. You should feel safe and happy with your life; no matter who you are, where you come from, how old you are. Each human deserves this and as a feminist I pride myself on this fact, if you believe in equality then you should define yourself as a feminist too. 

Whats your opinion on feminism? Do you count yourself as a feminist?

You Might Also Like

0 comments